Do you suffer from a superhero syndrome? That struggle is REAL for most of us, enthusiastic entrepreneurs. We tend to overestimate our capabilities and underestimate the time and effort it will take to accomplish it all. This is where strategic outsourcing comes in!
One of my mentors told me: “If you make a 6-figure income and you don’t have an assistant, you’re crazy!” And you know what? I was!
I thought I could do it all, but I had constant anxiety. The worst thing was that I couldn’t enjoy my family because there was always something to be done and I couldn’t focus on my work because I was feeling bad about not spending time with my family. This is a vicious circle and it’s time to break it!
Are you excited to learn all about strategic outsourcing, hiring and building the best virtual team possible?
We’ve been entrepreneurs for over 16 years now and we’re so excited to share with you our secrets and help you create a life you won’t need a vacation from!
Over the last few years we changed our business model completely. We got so tired of having an endless To Do list and running a home business that actually kept us away from home!
When we first came across the book “The 4-Hour Workweek”, some of the concepts blew us away! They were so simple and yet we hadn’t thought of them. We realized that in order to build the company of our dreams, we had to leverage ourselves, shift our mindset, and let a little of the control go. That’s when we discovered outsourcing.
Inside this training, you’ll find out what strategic outsourcing is and why you should it, how to hire your very first virtual assistant, how to build the best virtual team possible and how to build a massive business while at the same time enjoying an amazing life! Are you excited?
Strategic Outsourcing | How To Hire And Build The Best Virtual Team
You can have it all, but you can’t do it all!
Here are the 4 phases you need to go through in order to hire the best virtual team and get the most out of your business!
Phase #1: Cultivating The Virtual Mindset
Do you have a fixed or a growth mindset?
Having a fixed mindset means that you like things done a certain way and you don’t want to change anything ever, while having a growth mindset is exactly the opposite — you’re open to new ideas and possibilities.
Guess what? If you want to create the business of your dreams, you need to cultivate the right mindset, let go of the control and open yourself up to new opportunities!
Why Strategic Outsourcing?
Remember the Pareto Principle? 20% of the effort brings 80% of the results. So change the question! Instead of asking “How can I learn to do this?”, start thinking about “How can I get this done with the least amount of energy and effort?”.
You’re the visionary of your company. And if you want to keep it that way, you need to outsource all the small tasks that kill your creativity. Work ON your business instead of in it!
Myths About Outsourcing
- Myth #1: “I can’t afford to outsource.”
Reality: Yes, you can afford to hire someone. Think globally and realize that you can hire incredible talent for as low as $4-5/hour.
- Myth #2: “I can it do it better/faster myself.”
Reality: You probably can. But how long until you burn out and you feel like you just want to quit everything? And how much time is that taking away from you and your family?
- Myth #3: “Virtual Assistants (VAs) will make mistakes.”
Reality: Who doesn’t? We all make mistakes — even you! But if you hire the right assistant, the discrepancies will be small and easily fixed.
- Myth #4: “I won’t be able to find someone to do what I want them to do at a level of quality I expect.”
Reality: That might be true to a certain extend. But let me tell you what I learned the hard way — it’s not about perfection, it’s about results! If your VA can get the job done at 80% of the quality, that’s infinitely better than you getting it done at 100%. Kapish?
What To Outsource?
Now that you see the value of outsourcing, let’s talk a little bit about what kind of jobs you can give to someone else. But before we do that, let’s get some clarity.
Take a piece of paper and write down the answers to these questions:
- What DRIVES you in your business?
- How about what DRAINS you in your business?
- What are you AVOIDING in your business?
Do a brain dump — write everything that comes to your mind. Make a list of EVERY SINGLE THING that you do in a week. Highlight your income-producing activities. Those are the ones you cannot outsource. Everything else — you can give to someone else. Of course, not ALL at once but step by step.
A while ago, an online trainer asked us to do this exercise and I thought to myself: “Well, I know what it’s about, so I don’t need to write things down”. And then several months later, I reluctantly decided to do it, and you know what? It changed my life! It opened up my eyes and now I understand why #OBEY is so important. You can’t have a breakthrough, if you don’t go through the process. It’s that simple.
Types Of Strategic Outsourcing
The types of jobs you’ll outsource depend on the type of project you run. Here are a few examples:
- Ongoing — for example, VAs that can come and help you for 10 hours every week;
- Project-based — for example a Graphic Designer who joins you for a week to help you refresh your Social Media;
- Automated Software:
• Capture page system;
• E-mail marketing/auto-responder;
• Auto-posting to Social Media;
IMPORTANT: There’s no such thing as a “super VA”. My motto used to be “If I want something done right, I have to do it myself”. And that motto had me working 100+ per week. I was constantly nervous and anxious. Then I hired my first VA and in the beginning, I wanted them to help me with everything — schedules, graphics, social media. But that’s not how it works. So I started hiring different people for the different skillsets I needed. And now I have an amazing team of people who on a slow week handle about 100 hours of work.
Now we’ve come to the heart of it all. Where do you find the people you need?
Sometimes you need people to physically assist you. For example, you don’t have time to clean your house or assemble your new table. Here are a few places where you can find people to help you:
Here are the platforms that we use or we’ve used in the past:
- Fiverr.com — here you can find people who will do quick and easy tasks for $5. The variety is big — play with the search bar to find people, check out the previous work and their ratings.
- Upwork.com — this is the website I use the most, and I love it! They’re a global platform where you can easily find professionals to work for you remotely. You can use it for tasks such as: managerial tasks, WordPress, customer support, research, admin work, and so much more!
- 99Designs.com — this is the number 1 marketplace for amazing designers! If you need help with any sort of branding or design, this is the place to be!
- MyDuplicationAcademy.com — for those of you who are in network marketing, this tool is amazing! It’s great if you want a simple CRM and a capture page system that you can use to build your business.
Phase 2: Getting Organized
Congratulations! You passed the first and hardest phase! Now that you know why, what and where you could be outsourcing, it’s time to take a look at your filing system.
It’s really important that you not only organize all your digital data but you back it up virtually. Creating a system for all your files will make it easy and beautiful work environment for your virtual team.
Here are a few tools which will help you get organized quickly:
- Jing – it allows you to capture your screen, and make audio and video recordings. That way you can easily explain to your VAs what needs to be done.
- Dropbox — you can also use your Google Drive. Either way, you need to have a space where you can back up all of your files and data. And Dropbox is perfect, especially if you have an international team. That way everyone can have access to any information they need, whenever they need it.
- Skype – it’s great for communicating face-to-face with your global staff;
- Asana – this is a free web and mobile application, which will help you assign and track different tasks.
- Evernote – another amazing tool you can use for organization and tracking!
As you can see there are so many options out there! These are just some of the few we love and use on a daily basis.
If you still need a little bit more clarity on outsourcing, you can read this book: Virtual Freedom: How To Work With Virtual Staff To Buy More Time, Become More Productive And Build Your Dream Business by Chris Ducker. It rocked my world!
Power Tips About Getting Organized
- Big storage = BIG success — I wish I knew this when I was buying my first Mac. When you have enough storage, you don’t have to worry about anything, and you can just let your creativity flow!
- Have a centralized filing system — I can’t stress this enough! You need to have a Data Hub where all of your information is stored. That way you can access it from any computer, and your team will be able to easily find it.
- Selective Sync — this is a feature on Dropbox. When you want to export information from Dropbox to your computer, use that feature and unmark the folders that are too big and you don’t want to get offloaded on your computer.
Phase 3: Securing Your Online Infrastructure
Would you give all of your passwords to your Virtual Assistants? Probably not. What if it doesn’t work out? And for the ones that do work out, they’re in different parts of the world and they might not be using a secure network. So what can you do?
Here are a few great tools which will help you stay safe!
LastPass rocked our world. How does it work?
The concept is simple. You install the extension on your browser and make an account. It’s 100% free. Then you start saving all of your passwords there. The best part is that you can share them with your VAs and you won’t ever have to worry about them seeing your credentials. And if you don’t want to share this information with them anymore, all you have to do is take away their access to the folder. That’s it!
Phase 4: Building A Virtual Team
General VA – Start here! Find someone who will help you on a regular basis. It will give you a taste of the good life, plus you’ll get a clearer idea of what you need. It’s also the best way to get addicted to outsourcing!
Upwork is an amazing platform. They serve as a middleman between your VA and you.
The system is simple. When your assistants work, they have to log in on the platform and it records their activities by taking random screenshots. Then on Monday, you get a report and you can review what they’ve done the week before and if they’ve actually worked. Then Upwork charges your account for the amount of hours recorded + a small sum that goes to the platform.
And how do you go about hiring someone on Upwork?
When you go to post a new job, Upwork will ask you for the level of skillset you’re looking for. There are three types: “entry level”, “intermediate” and “expert”. I usually go with “intermediate” because I don’t want to hire someone who’s just starting out and needs a lot of training, but I also don’t need an expert who will charge a lot.
- Qualities to look for — enthusiasm, work ethic, desire to learn and quick responses;
- Portfolio — review what they’ve done to see if you like their work;
- Ratings — they usually have a “success rate” in percentages, and they have feedback from previous clients on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the highest);
- Hours Worked On The Platform — that usually means they have more experience and are more reliable. I usually prefer people with about 100 hours of experience;
- Negotiate the hourly rate — VAs have posted an hourly rate on their profiles but check out their previous jobs. If most of them were for an amount that was lower, you might be able to negotiate the price;
- Give them a test — once you’ve narrowed down the search to a 2-3 candidates, give them a simple test and see how they do and how fast they respond.
Managing Your Team
When you’re starting out with your VAs, you’ll have to go with them through some basic training in order to adjust the way you work together. Follow these simple steps:
- Connect with them on Skype;
- Set them up on Asana;
- Give them access to your Dropbox team folder;
- Use Jing to record a short video of you doing a certain task;
- Have your VA watch the video and ask you questions;
- Ask your VA to do the task;
- Go through what they’ve done and provide feedback.
Congratulations! You made it through the whole training! Now you know the secrets to strategic outsourcing and building the best virtual team possible! Let’s go and create the life you’ve always dreamed of!
Which task will do first? Tell us in the comments below! Let’s CRUSH it!
Additional Resources to Help You Build Your Business:
- 5 Best Business Curiosity Posts for Facebook
- How to Use the ATM Facebook Group Strategy to Sell and Recruit More
- Facebook Page VS. Facebook Profile – Which is Better for Audience Reach?
- Best Closing Questions and Tips for Network Marketers
- LIKE Our Page to Plug into our LIVE Videos Here
Want to Know What Tools we Use to Build Our Business and Our Brand?
- Resources – we often get asked what tools we use and recommend, so we put together one page with all our favorite resources. Enjoy!
Feel free to share this with anyone who might enjoy it and also comment below on your favorite tip or your biggest takeaway. We can’t wait to see your comments!
Our mission is to teach you how to build a business that gives you FREEDOM with your time and FREEDOM with your finances.
PS. When They Say ‘Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve’ – We Took That Literally. Check Out our BRAND NEW Lifestyle Apparel Shop for Inspirational Threads that are Guaranteed to Start a Conversation! Click Here to Check ‘Um Out!
If you enjoyed the video Strategic Outsourcing: How To Hire And Build The Best Virtual Team, be sure to like, share or comment below! Let’s crush it!